Data is the new economic focus, the availability of good quality data is an important precondition for sound policy making. Weaknesses in national data systems range from lack of representativeness, incomplete coverage, discontinuity, dispersion to lack of homogeneity and comparability. This situation is both reason and consequence of limited use of and thus investment in data generation and management systems.
ReSAKSS ‘s objective is to bridge this existing gap by grouping on its web-based platforms comprehensive, reliable up -to- date data and facilitate the use of open agriculture and climate datasets for agricultural research and development.
About the Annual ReSAKSS challenge
The ReSAKSS challenge is an Africa wide -diaspora included- competition targeting researchers, students, creative designers, developers and analysts and anyone passionate about data. The competition will enable you to experiment, discover new tools, and create a community of practice working data in the most innovative way.
It will enable various groups of actors, whether in business, the media, or arts, civil society organizations to create content in their own line of occupation. More generally, the challenge encourages diverse communities with different backgrounds to come together to use data to generate knowledge, discuss and exchange on the common interest for data.
The Annual ReSAKSS challenge is an Africa wide -diaspora included- four (4)-category challenge encouraging participants to use their imagination to generate innovative knowledge, tools and content. Prizes will be awarded to the best entries in the following categories:
- Category 1 – Essays and Reports: The most innovative research paper, article, essay, or journal article bringing solution to African issues.
- Category 2 – Visual Arts: The most innovative infographic, illustration, video
- Category 3 – IT products and services: The most innovative applications and tools
- Category 4 – High School Projects: The most innovative high school project
Objective of the Annual ReSAKSS challenge
The ReSAKSS Data Challenge aims to provide reliable data and numerous knowledge products on the ReSAKSS platform and encourage their use by actors in academia, business, policy, media, arts and the civil society at large. More specifically, the ReSAKSS Data Challenge seeks to:
- Introduce the ReSAKSS platform and its associated tools to African audiences: students, researchers, analysts, media specialists, artists, entrepreneurs, and anyone interested in African in social and economic development in Africa and related data and knowledge products;
- Raise awareness on the availability of reliable data provided by the ReSAKSS website and of the highly-disaggregated data available in the ReSAKSS Country eAtlases;
- Encourage participants in the challenge to fully explore the range of data and indicators on the ReSAKSS platforms;
- Stimulate innovative use of data on African economies to create knowledge, tools, and artistic products and services that will contribute to efforts to address matters of strategic importance to African society.
Targeted participants include but are not limited to researchers, analysts, and students in all disciplines, artists, media specialists, coders, developers, high school teams, anyone in Africa and from the diaspora who is passionate about data and willing to create an innovative content, product or service relevant to social and economic development issues facing African countries.
The ReSAKSS DATA challenge is an opportunity for researchers and analysts to experiment, discover new tools, and create a community of practice that will work data in the most innovative way.
It will enable other groups of actors, whether in business, the media, or arts, to create content in their own liner of occupation. It allows civil society organizations to develop content for advocacy. More generally, diverse communities with different backgrounds can come together use data to generate knowledge, discuss and exchange on their common interest for data.
|Eligible participants submit their application||April 20 to August 20, 2018|
|Jury selects top ten products/projects and top three winners for each of the three competition categories||August 20 to September 20, 2018|
|Announcement of winners||September 25,, 2018|
|Presentation of awards to winners during the 2018 ReSAKSS Annual Conference in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia||October 25, 2018|